Voyages of Sea Turtle

Voyages of Sea Turtle

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Cold & Windy

Day 21 & 22
Jan 22 & 23, 2016
Fri & Sun
St. Augustine and Daytona, FL

Day 21 St Augustine
The promised rain and high winds showed up as scheduled.  We did not go to shore but holed up in the boat. We put the dinghy up on the swim platform in the cradles. Did some other chores and hoped how soon it would clear up and calm down. 

Day 22 to Daytona
We got up to a cloudy dreary windy day but headed the 50 miles to Daytona about 7:30. It was cold (39) and never got warm even in the sunroom (no sun). We had winds of 25-30 mph all day. When we arrived at Daytona at Halifax Marina we got adjoining slips with Journey. We filled our water tank while spraying my jean, socks and shoes with water. I do prefer to shower with my clothes off! To add to my misery I tripped on a line trying to turn the water off and fell on my knee I had surgery on last spring. Then I did 2 loads of laundry.  

Lee was concerned our batteries did not charge and since we motored all day they should have.  He tested the specific gravity in our cells (don't ask) and they were ok. After that he turned on the battery charger to see if shore power would perk them up. Thought they did a little but charger not on  long enough to be sure. We wanted heat and could not do both at same time on 30 amp electric.

The only place in walking distance to eat was closed when we got there after walking in the cold, wind and dark to get there. Mitch has developed a talent for finding places that are not open to try to eat. This is 4 in a row I think. Disgusted we came back to the boats and ate. I started the log and Lee hollered to come help him. Which caused my log to disappear. Lee had decided the problem was the alternator belt.  It was too loose and not turning the alternator.  After a hour and a half struggle, using tools, dental floss and kitchen spoons we finally got a new belt on and tension adjusted. It was way past my bed time and the log I went back to finish had vanished. I said enough is enough, turn on the heat and let's go to bed. 
Definitely not a day I will remember fondly in years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment