Voyages of Sea Turtle

Voyages of Sea Turtle

Friday, March 13, 2015

Hello Bahamas

Fri March 6, 2015
Chub Cay
Bahamas

We left No Name Harbor near Miami about 7:30 am yesterday.  We motor sailed with the wind on our nose in rough bouncy water most of the day with winds around 20 +kts and 6ft seas. By late afternoon  it calmed to 10-12knts and 2 ft seas.  Due to our late start we were going to have to drop anchor in the midst of nowhere on the Bahama Bank around midnight or go all night. The moon was full and the wind and waves tolerable so we opted for sailing all night. Unfortunately I did not sleep at all. The time I had to sleep was too bouncy but Lee got 2 sleep shifts.  By 6:15 am this morning I was done for. I am too old to pull an all nighter.

I was not looking forward to the Gulf Stream since winds were not what we really wanted nor was the sea conditions. It was not a fun experience, but it could have been worse.  We arrived in Chub Cay and went through the customs red tape. Which while time consuming was not all that bad, filled up the water tank and diesel tank. Then I went to the marinas laundry, which was 2 old washers, one broken, 2 dryers, one broken. Good thing I only had 1 load of laundry. But the price was the same as in FL at the Plantation Yacht Harbor, $2 for wash , $2 for dry. We then came out of the harbor and anchored along with several other boats.  The marina was lovely but $4 a foot was not, and there was no facilities.

It was hot today but not too bad this evening so maybe I can make up for some lost sleep.  We have no cell reception or internet so have no idea when I can get this posted but will as soon as I have a chance.  We have traveled so far 1,000 nautical miles since we left Little River in Dec. I feel every one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment