Voyages of Sea Turtle

Voyages of Sea Turtle

Monday, April 15, 2019

Day 8, April 15, Monday

Last night was a wild one.  The wind blew 20 to 33kts all night. Finally at 4 am in the morning the rain came.  It rained hard then things calmed down.  Kitty was upset by the howling sounds of the wind in the rigging.

We got off early as we knew today was going to be a long one.  I was out bringing up the anchor and rinsing off the chain as I took it up and noticed movement on the other sail boat that had been anchored when we came in Sunday evening. It was so run down and dirty Lee thought it was abandoned. But anyway I looked over and a buck naked man was coming up from below and headed to the stern where he squatted on a bucket.  I resumed my rinsing and raising of the anchor chain and when I looked back he was heading back below deck.  Interesting way to start the day.

The cat and I went back to sleep and Lee headed south.  Around noon I got up and took the helm while Lee ate and napped.   He likes it hot and hates the wind,  I like it cooler and do not mind the wind.  He had the front closed and it had dirt and salt spray dried on it and I could hardly see when I came upon a bridge which I was not expecting.  It was 4:25 and I called the bridge tender and he said it opened at 4:30 and I probably could not make it.  I said I would hurry and try.  I called for Lee to come up and roll the front panel up so I could see clearly and we actually got to the bridge as it was opening.  Good thing or it would have cost us a half hour.  We fought 20kt winds all day.  Part of the day the angle would have been good for sailing but the channel was so narrow it just was not doable.

We got to Mile Hammock Bay about 5:15 and there was only 1 other boat, large power boat, in the anchorage.  We dropped anchor and relaxed a while, and I fixed dinner.  It is supposed to be 40s tonight so we zipped everything shut and went below about dark.  We missed the cat and realized he must be up top.  To our surprise the had wiggled through an opening in the canvas and was out prowling the deck for the first time. He was looking over as if he was not sure if he wanted to jump ship of not.  Not wanting to fish a wet cat out of the water in the dark we called him back inside and below deck.  Winds about 10kt and looks like tomorrow will be a sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment