Voyages of Sea Turtle

Voyages of Sea Turtle

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Work Day

Wed. Jan 21,2015
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Las Olas Marina


Today was a work day.  I started with doing some more laundry while I have the luxury of a washer and dryer access.  Then I started to work on the fresh water tank issue.  Mark came early and he and Lee were off to get the solar panels. Unfortunately I couldn't get the lid off the tank cleaner so I was stopped in my tracks until the guys got back and I could get one of them to open it. They were gone and gone and gone. I could not imagine what was taking so long since the details had been worked out over a month ago and paid for in advance. While I waited for them to come back with panels a couple of marina people came in and yelled at me to get my boat back from the walk way. My bow sprit and anchor were out in the walkway and creating a danger.  I told them, I said as much when we were put in a slip with only a 20ft finger dock and was questioning the safety of it then. but I didn't know how with no cleats aft the mid point of the boat and current pushing us towards the walk way how I could pull the boat off the dock walk. They said they would try to find us something else and left.  I called Lee and he said they were about thru and were going to eat and come back. Then he would see what was going on with the boat. In the mean time I took down and stowed any objects I thought would obstruct their work and removed some canvas I was certain would need down.  

Finally after nearly 3 hours they returned with 2 panels but the 3rd was too large to fit in the Camry so it was going to be delivered by the store, sometime today.  Well at least I got my jug opened and could start on my project. The water tank cleaner took a lot of filling and draining and timing this and that and since our bilge pump is acting up I had to stay by it and manually turn it off and on when I was draining thru the faucets and shower. After that was done which took several hours it does seem to have solved the problem. Hurrah clean, drinkable water. The next issue was getting a new filter for the water purifier. The kind we have is not stocked at West Marine but is the same as what Handleys have. They had an extra on hand so we borrowed theirs and ordered replacements which should be here in 2 or 3 days and we will give them one of them when they come. Water and power you take so for granted on land are your major concerns on a boat, thus the solar panels and the consideration of a water maker. 

The guys didn't have the right bolts and nuts so made another trip to the hardware store. They finally had it together. The last panel came just as they were returning.  It was already 4 oclock. They got one of the smaller panels mounted but not wired and called it a day. 

We have decent water, have the panels started and those were crucial, but the timeline is shot.  Two days, Ha Ha Ha.  We will probably be here thru the weekend. After the panels are up, wired and working there is still the sump pump to carry water from the shower and sink in the head to replace.  Sailing is as they say, working on your boat in warm far away places.  

If you are interested in seeing any pics, the Handleys take several of what we are doing and where we are and include in their log. If you tap on any pic at the bottom of the log you will see all taken that day  You can find their log at Handleysail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment