Voyages of Sea Turtle

Voyages of Sea Turtle

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Loose Ends

Wednesday, 12/17/14
Little River, SC

Today I tied up some loose ends.  Not all loose ends but some loose ends.  I am beginning to think I have forgotten the knots.

I checked with tech support about the wind generator.  They advised to throw the breaker and watch the LED on the unit.  When power is applied the LED will come on for 2 seconds, off for 2 seconds then on for 4 seconds.  The problem is that the switch is in the starboard berth and the wind generator is out on the swim platform.  Trying to throw the switch and get out to see the LED is kind of like turning out the light and trying to get in bed before the light leaves the room.  Not happening.

So, I went to do some misc. shopping.  I needed some acorn nuts, some O rings, and some Christmas presents.  I eventually got back to the boat and Lynda showed up after her Cookie Exchange party.  I flipped the switch and she watched the LED.  Nothing happened.

Now comes more troubleshooting.  The possibilities are that there is a glitch in the wiring or a fault in the wind generator itself.  I have no way to determine that the fault is in the generator except by the process of elimination.  There are four connection points between the generator and the batteries. One is at the batteries, two are on the control panel and the last is at the generator head.  The control panel is illuminated so the battery connection is good as is the battery to control panel connection.  I have checked the outbound connection on the control panel and it is good.  That just leaves the connection at the generator head.  Checking it involves removing the blades so they don't get damaged then removing the generator from the pipe that holds it.  That will require more wire which means all the wire run back to the control panel will have to be cut loose to pull slack to the generator.  that is the worst connection to check but as my friend Bill Sears says "it is what it is".

Tomorrow I have minor surgery scheduled to remove a basal cell carcinoma from my back.  It will be done in the office at the dermatologist.  This makes the third one I have had removed.  Thankfully it isn't on my face like the others. Before or after we need to make a Costco run the stock up on provisions.  That's Lynda's department.

Not a lot accomplished but gradually getting there.  I'll try again Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment