Voyages of Sea Turtle

Voyages of Sea Turtle

Saturday, December 6, 2014

More Dinghy

Today I scrubbed the bottom of the dinghy in preparation for bottom painting.  Then I taped of the bottom paint line.  I need to paint the bottom early tomorrow (if it isn't going to rain) so it has time to dry.  Judy tells me they painted their bottom and dew hit before it dried.  Caused paint to run all over the sides of the dinghy that had to be taken off and the bottom painted again.  I love learning by someone else's mistakes instead of making my own.

Another step in cleaning and protecting the dinghy is to treat it with UV protection.  The preferred product seems to be 303 Aerospace Protectant.  I have checked with NAPA, O'reily's, and Advance Auto and none of them stock it.  It looks like Camping World may carry it.  Judy has enough to treat both our boats but the supply needs to be replenished.  The same for the boat cleaner we used.  Maybe she will use Amazon.com Prime to get free shipping.

I also spent some time going through the documentation for Sea Turtle trying to locate the zincs.  I know there is one on the prop shaft but I can't find out where else.  There may be one on each of the Frigibot keel coolers and maybe in the hot water heater.  Also on the engine.  These are sacrificial anodes that protect the other metal parts of the boat from galvanic corrosion (check Wikipedia).  I am going to have Larry, the local diver, check the condition of the bottom of the boat and clean it if necessary.  He will change the zincs that are under water while he is at it.

The inverter for 120 volt appliances (think Lynda's hair dryer) arrived today.  We'll probably start that installation on Monday. Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment